When I was a girl I played mud pies. I loved making mud pies, with different things on top, seeds, grass, branches, you name it, if its found outside I had it on top of my mud pies. Anyway I was recently telling one of my children about how we used to play in the street until dark and for awhile we had a barrel and used to get in it and all the other neighborhood kids would roll the barrel down the street! That's what I call fun, today if you could even fit me in a barrel I would die the moment it started to roll. OK so to the point of this post, I often get those email about when I was a kid....and it's all the things lost on this generation...like mud pies and rolling barrels, playing outside all day and no video games. So here's to THIS generation and my sweet son Jason and the great neighborhood we live in where HE is growing up the way I did, playing outside. Thankfully we have a neighborhood full of kids...they are a little older now so they have a bit for freedom but they really enjoy to outdoors.
Jason has been talking for days about the frogs he has caught and I keep saying....yah....yah Anyway today I went on the side of my house to see the frogs because I thought I should asses the situation. BOY has the situation grown into an exhibit!!!
There is a big bucket of tadpoles, then there is a box with a green lid with frogs in it (50 or so) and the newest addition to the exhibit is a garter snake in the red lid box. Jason informed me it bit him when he was trying to catch it.....!!!!! So we now have all of this going on in my front yard. They have been outside - all day everyday working on this and they are having the best time. The whole neighborhood has become involved (well really just 6 or so kids) but it makes me think...these kids aren't missing what we grew up knowing, they just have video games too!!
2 comments:
Love your post as well as your childrens creativity.
Patricia
Abby and Hailey make mud pies too... that must be a girl thing and catching snakes and frogs must be a boy thing. Derek caught one the other night and Abby wouldn't touch it. She said, "I just look at it cuz my hands don't get all dirty" (in her cute Abby voice)
Post a Comment